bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Where's the middle ground between genre conventions and originality? I've long been interested in writing a fantasy novel. Over the countless iterations I've gone through, one thing has remained - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

What I want in a story is a character I care about facing an issue I face and struggling with that issue.

You say you have humans on another planet using magic. And it's fantasy. It sounds like fantasy to me.

I have humans on another planet. And they are genetically modified to have remarkable abilities (and have access to remarkable pharmaceuticals). I call it fantasy. Or sci-fi depending on the day.

We should beta swap sometime.

If I care about your characters then I won't care if there are elves or not. In fact I generally dislike elves and dragons. But I love a wise teacher. Give me a wise teacher. Knights are nice and all, but a Han Solo is much more compelling than a Lancelot. Han Solo is flawed, and has no delusions of grandeur.

I think if you are on another planet with magic you are safely in Fantasy. You don't need more convention or more originality. You need to write a good story, synopsis, and query.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nickens642

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best