bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Ramifications of using real public people as characters in fiction? So the story I want to write can really only be written in one of two ways. Basically it's the modern world, a handful of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

So the story I want to write can really only be written in one of two ways. Basically it's the modern world, a handful of people develop god-like powers, and some of them want to use those powers to force the world to get better - ie, they want to use their power and nigh unstoppability to dictate terms to all badly behaving actors in the world to act according to their (the supers') standards. In other words, the super(s) are becoming de facto dictators.

This means they will be interacting with world leaders, thought leaders, major corporations, etc. Take Trump for example - or Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Pence - the protagonists are going to want to have words with them and lay down the law - the new law anyways.

So my two choices are - right about a fictional parallel universe with all the same people as the real universe, using their real names, OR -

I could create all new name like President Ronald King, a real jackass of a man.

The benefit of the latter approach would be better insulation from legal action and it would probably be a little more timeless if not tied to real people at this moment in history.

My question is this: If I went with the first option, said that the protagonists teleported to the White House and threatened Trump, whereupon he cravenly and quickly yielded to them - what is my real risk to being sued or otherwise being taken to court?

PS. I looked at other similar topics already on this site, and didn't really find the answers I was looking for, as my fiction doesn't just use these characters in passing, but spends a chapter or two with them, possibly more.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

One problem I notice with reading paperbacks from the past (whether from BookThing or my mom's trashy-lit shelves when I was a teen) is that they name-drop a LOT, but those names mean/meant nothing to me.

The writer dropped the names in often as a shortcut, like "The secretary had hair like Cheryl Ladd," but that told me nothing. This was pre-Wikipedia, so for all I know, Miss Ladd was the writer's next door neighbor!

Or worse, if the celebrities were interacting with the clearly fictional characters, they got less description, because "everyone knows" the difference in sex-symbol-ness between Tom Sellick and Burt Reynolds, but I barely even knew they had mustaches!

It's fine to write for NOW, in fact, you sort of have to. (I think there was a writer for Cracked who was complaining that his book "was so full of zombies and so 2007 (or whatever year)", and his partner was like "It's never been 2007 before! Write it!") But also bear in mind that with luck, your writing will be discovered and rediscovered in future decades -- capture as much of reality as you can, and don't assume readers will fill in the gaps the way you want.

You may find it helpful to look at historical fiction writers and how they handle "real world characters" -- you're just looking at a slightly less historical history.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you were to use a name like "President Ronald King," the reader should be able to pick up on your social commentary. In addition, it can show the reader what you think of him [Trump] and how you want to portray him.

An example that I can think of off the top of my head is Terry Pratchett's work in his Discworld novels. He uses fantasy as a means for social commentary. Take his novel Moving Pictures, he uses Holy Wood instead of Hollywoood, Blown Away as a parody to Gone With the Wind.

You are writing a fiction piece, after all. Might as well take advantage of that, and play around with names that resemble the real life people/institutions you want to portray in the way you want to portray them. The added bonus is that you don't have to worry about legal ramifications, which seems to be your main concern.

Load Full (0)