bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to best pace information reveals to the reader Some of my beta comments fall under the category of 'I the reader am frustrated by what I do not know' - and I've gotten this comment in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In this case, I believe your fundamental problem is too much dead time. Readers expect to have either story progress, engaging literary flourishes, or both at any given point in time. (By flourishes, I mean exposition which is thoroughly enticing background information.)

While Natasha is trying to figure out the problem with the key, you would need to provide some curiosities to hint to the reader that her frantic search has some meaning. The reader must perceive her actions as having plot or character value, otherwise it is wasted words. A good writer must do two things with every phrase: control tension while conveying plot or character information.

E.g., if she notices something wrong with the house while looking for open windows. She could question her memory or her sanity, which can add to the sense of fear and flight while foreshadowing the revelation. Depending on her character, it could be mind-racing yet competent consideration---or it can be full-on terror, confusion, and panic.

Jiggling keys and trying everything on the key ring is normal and expected behavior. It conveys nothing special about your plot, your world, or your character. As such, it offers nothing to the reader. You must give those actions relevance in the story; otherwise, you should remove them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best