bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: If I'm writing in US English, am I not allowed to use the metric system? For example, can I say this if my book is written in US English (in non-dialog): The car was going at least - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Not much to add to the other answers here, but I have a few thoughts. I am going to answer this question targeted towards fiction. If you are not writing fiction, this answer probably won't help much.

Think about who is talking. If you have someone who (to pick a European country at random) lives in Finland, he would probably talk in metric units. He doesn't have to. If you want a realistic feel, then he should, but if you want to be easy on your reader (or yourself if imperial units come naturally), then let him use the imperial system. Same thing goes for an American. Most Americans (in my experience) know little about the metric system, but of course a scientific American is more likely (than the average American) to use the Metric system. Finally, you have to decide what to do with the narrator. If it is third person, then you may want to use imperial units for the reader. Or not. You may find it easier to use metric units and the reader could find it to be something memorable about you. If you are writing from the view of a character, use the units he would use.

There is no right or wrong answer here. You can do whatever you want, it is just a matter of whether it works with your story or not.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Voss1744584

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best