bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a Super Intelligent AI Something I have been thinking about recently is how to write a character who is an artificial intelligence and not have him feel human. Specifically an AI who - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are so many examples of characters, both biologically human and otherwise, who show amazing intelligence but are clearly not fully human. The range extends at least as far as Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, to highly intelligent humans who are still ignorant of societal norms or unable to follow them, like Adrian Monk from Monk, Gregory House from House, MD and even Sherlock Holmes.

I think Data is a great example, because he longs to understand the basics of humanity and so he is curious about completely mundane things. Even if we didn't know that he was not human, we would know he wasn't human. All it takes is two human characters talking about something mundane and the AI asking seemingly obvious questions about it to show that the AI is not human. Like, "What is shaving cream?" "Why do humans keep eating when they are full?" "If it is wrong, then why would anyone do it?" and the ultimate, "What is love?" Spock is a similar example, but he knows the literal answers to the questions, and frequently expresses mystification over the actual ramifications by saying things like, "Captain, I know that humans value so-called jokes, but to a Vulcan they are merely a waste of time". (Not an actual quote)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pope4766717

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best