bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I need to add Face Description of all Characters? I am writing a novel. Should I need to add Face Description ( or the personality ) of all the Characters? Is there a template that - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

No. You do not even have to describe the face of your protagonist (the main hero of the story). I've read several published authors that don't do it, but I am away on business and have no access to my shelves to find examples. As a general rule when I write, I seldom describe my characters' physical appearance in any detail. In one case, the only way I described a character that performed significant action was this:

"Find the least pretty boy in the bar, that's him."
"Is he scarred? Beat up?"
"Nope."
Alice entered the bar, and scanned the patrons. Oh, that must be him.

The only time I give physical description is if it is has an effect on other character's reactions and treatment of the character. I see no reason to do otherwise. Even then, if I am going to describe them, I wait until some other character DOES have a reaction to their appearance, and sometimes that is enough to convey the appearance.

Jane said, "He's no Prince Charming, but he's pretty funny."
"Well I'm no Cinderella," Alice said, "So tell him that and set me up if he still wants to go."

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Odierno164

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best