bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does a novel require a conflict? Unless a better writer can dissuade me I am minded to say no. The 'essential' 'conflict' is cultural. It is part of the western 'Human Condition' - Eastern - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I am not sure that you can have a good story without conflict. However, not all conflict is the same. There are three main kinds of conflict:

Man vs. Man: I think that most novels use this one as the main
conflict.
Man vs Nature: I think this is where White Fang would fit in. This is also the category where the examples that the OP used: 'The Martian', 'Gravity' and 'Castaway'. In each of them, the protagonist started in normal circumstances and was then thrown into a place where they had to fight for survival.
Man vs. Himself: This can be difficult to write if this is the only conflict. The movie "Fight Club" is the best example I can think of at 2am.

Conflict doesn't have to be ninja's attacking a hero. It can be a normal man trying to fight the insects that are killing his tomato plants. It can be a man's struggle to live his life with major depression.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pope4766717

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best