bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I convey that a relationship is platonic? I've been toying around with the idea of writing a novel. The story revolves around two characters, one male and one female, and the perspective - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Well. There are ways to handle this. The simplest is never address it. They're friends, they get along, and they work well together. People may/will ship them, but that isn't how you wrote them.

People will ship (slang term, meaning to imagine them in a relationship) them whether you specifically, unequivocally state they are just friends.

People will ship them if you say he's gay and she's a lesbian.

There's nothing you can do that will cause people to see them as the best of friends and that's it. Even if, at the end of the story, they're married to other people, have kids, and are still acting the same way they are at the beginning. They'll just 'assume' they haven't come to terms with it; even if they're in their nineties and are still best friends and still completely platonic.

People ship characters, even when they don't make sense but it reminds them of a cute couple (i.e. themselves with their idealized partner). There's no stopping that. So write them as they are and address it or don't. People will ship them anyway.

Examples. Sasuke and Naruto, from the series Naruto. People still ship them, even though they are married to women and have kids.

Sam and Frodo, from Lord of the Rings.

Black Widow and practically every man she's ever spoken with in the MCU.

From Pacific Rim, the two leads. Not romantically involved. I haven't even seen the movie, and I know this because of the shipping is so on that its wake slapped me awake. (Too many relationship critique YouTube video talks about this particular pairing, because they weren't romantically involved)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gonzalez219

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best