logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Do publishers really need to translate between UK and US English? Is there really a need for a book to be translated from UK to US English? I'm nearing completion on my own great work, and

Kaufman555 @Kaufman555

This far in and no one has mentioned Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone? As an American, I actually read the British edition prior to the franchise becoming so popular in the States, so to me it's always the former. That said, I didn't pick up on the cultural stuff in the British Release until somewhere in the third or fourth book where the Jolly Gift Giving Christmas figure is called "Father Christmas" rather than "Santa Claus" that I realized that this was British.

As a general rule, spelling changes are not that noticeable and there is little difference between the American 3rd floor (two floors up from the ground floor) and the British 3rd floor (Three floors up from the ground floor) to be made... unless you're falling from them... even then...

Most Americans are aware that Brits and Americans do not speak the same English (not to mention the Aussies, who say the speak English... but we're all sure that making up words and convincing foreigners they're real is an Australian Sport). In fact, a lot of humor on both sides of the pond is just how different the language can be.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme