bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: The psychology of finishing a piece of fiction I have a psychological oddity when it comes to my own writing (particularly fiction, and particularly longer work). Obviously it may just be a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm on the twentieth revision of my first novel. Heheheheh. This has been a lot of fun. I have the same specific issues identified by others. Additionally, my characters of necessity (for me, anyway) started out very two-dimensional. Their actions and reactions were predictable, juvenile, their motivations uncomplicated.

It's taking me this many revisions because I keep identifying another scene where a character is behaving like a cartoon - I fix that, and suddenly other parts of the story need to be reworked. So, it's taking a while and I feel your pain.

Chris, I believe you have put some of your work 'out there' either in blog format or something more published, self published, something? yes? You have some experience on feedback there? My experience in scientific writing is that I write crap, yes, but my co-authors help out and then the reviewers do too. It's processive. Maybe that practice of knowing it's crap (but will get better) is important. Maybe some of us need to push through and send the best crap we can write into the world (beta's etc) knowing other brains will find errors in it and help make it better.

I recently looked through reviews of two books I'm considering comparing my novel to. The five star reviews of those books and the one star reviews sound as though they describe different books. There will be people who hate whatever we write, and I think we know that and are trying to protect ourselves from it.

Some people will hate whatever we write. They will. Do your best, put it out there (or don't) and don't let the haters get you down.

p.s. My current revision is on hard copy formatted into a book layout. Font: Times, single spaced, 300 words per ~4x6 page. I strongly recommend reading through your work like this (and on hard copy, not just the formatting) if you hope to publish a book. I'm seeing so many errors I didn't see on my Word document.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best