logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Dealing with Amazon Kindle where clueless behavior has been consistent I have had half a dozen iterations with Amazon, and am still not seeing a clue. My Kindle collection, including C.J.S. Hayward:

Reiling826 @Reiling826

Posted in: #Amazon #Ebook #Kindle

I have had half a dozen iterations with Amazon, and am still not seeing a clue.

My Kindle collection, including C.J.S. Hayward: The Complete Works, is by physical construction converted from submitted, handcrafted, single-page HTML original documents. This and other works open with front matter, including a table of contents built in HTML, clearly intelligible but without any markup saying "This succession of p.table-of-contents containing one link each is a table of contents."

Recently I received a Kindle quality notice that my book should have an NCX table of contents. I've repeatedly asked that Amazon either explain how to do that with a plain old HTML original, or withdraw the request. I've repeatedly been pointed to kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201605710 and failed completely in my efforts to communicate that the instructions given are ePub-specific and not an option in a single HTML file:

2. Use your TOC as an HTML TOC (recommended)
For customers on older devices, this saves many clicks when they want to jump to a part of your book.
Activate a guide item in the Kindle Go To menu to make a link to the HTML TOC accessible from anywhere in the book. To do this, reference your TOC in the navigation document with a landmarks nav element (sample code below).
In the epub:type attribute, set "landmarks" as the value.
In the epub:type attribute, add a link with "toc" as the value.

Sample code:
<nav epub:type="landmarks">

<ol><li><a epub:type="toc" href="table-of-contents.xhtml">Table of Contents</a></li></ol>
</nav>

What, if any, options are there to make any appropriate changes that are feasible within an HTML source, and/or ask Amazon to stop asking for ePub-specific features on a single non-ePub HTML source?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Karen856

Karen856 @Karen856

If you have or can get hold of a couple of pieces of software, one being Microsoft Word (any old version) and the other being Calibre (free to download here) then you can use the instructions on this website to create an NCX table of contents in your HTML file:
litworldinterviews.com/2015/07/02/how-to-create-a-ncx-table-of-contents-for-amazon-upload-using-calibre/
I've read the document through a couple of times and it looks straightforward enough (there are pictures!) but if you want anything clarifying then I'll be happy to try to do so in the comments.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Odierno164

Odierno164 @Odierno164

What are the consequences if you ignore these requests? If there are no consequences, add a filter to your email and divert them to the spam folder.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme