bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Plotting a Compelling Story How should I approach plotting a compelling story, i.e. one aimed at changing the way people think and behave (rather than just being "art for art's sake")? I want - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You approach a story with a message the same way you approach a story without one: To make it compelling you need a good plot, good twists, and a hero the audience is hoping will succeed despite the odds being stacked against them and a likely failure.

You avoid the traps of a too-perfect-hero, and perhaps a too-evil-villain. Whatever philosophy you are trying to push must be the cause of the hero's success; or in the case of Pay it Forward, also the cause of their demise.

A message is like "profit" in business: If you only focus on how to increase profit, you fail to focus on satisfying customers, and eventually the corner cutting and other abuses done in the name of profit will catch up, and put you out of business. The trick to increasing profits is solving the difficult problem of pleasing customers for less than it costs to please them. Thus, profit is a residue. You don't increase it by focusing on it, you increase it by increasing the number of customers, or cutting costs that won't change the level of customer satisfaction at all. i.e. you can cut true waste, but not at the cost of quality, service, cachet, warranty or employee satisfaction.

A message in a story is the same way; the quality of the plot, description, character development, pacing, dialogue and most importantly the conflict on every page must come first. There is still room for a message, but "compelling" is separate from it and applies to any story. If you can write a compelling story, then you can try writing one around an integral message.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best