bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Where do I start? Let’s say I’ve created an outline, have explored my characters properly, and have properly broken down each scene to an appropriate level of detail. I know the story, I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Whatever feels right. You could also write the start of each chapter and slowly fill each one out. This way you start with the rough outline, then move to a roadmap with small steps, and then you just try to fill in the gaps. This allows you to have a better overview of the goal you are trying to accomplish while not taking up too much time. Many people are getting stuck on trying to make a "perfect start" for example and then never finish anything. Or they finish their work and realize that their "perfect start" doesn't really fit the finale anymore. Or they realize something important needs to be said in the beginning.

Your first draft won't be perfect, which is why it doesn't really matter where or how you start. Just write what comes to mind and feels natural to you with a rough idea of where and when to use it later. In the end you will see how you can connect the dots and where you need to polish your work.

The above with a "start at the beginning" approach:

make a rough outline
start with the beginning of the first chapter
start with the beginning of the second chapter
continue until you have the beginning for everything from start to finish
start over and rewrite the beginning of the first chapter
expand the first chapter a bit
repeat steps 4 to 6 until satisfied

There are different kinds of people and everyone works a little different. What might work for me might not work for you.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Becky328

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best