bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to improve a scene where the drama is one-sided and not with the POV character? I have a scene I struggle with: it has potential for inherent drama, but it reads as an info dump. In - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Use Brava's viewpoint to show her inner conflicts with society's norms

I wouldn't underestimate how much the reaction to someone else's drama can tell you about a character. Brava being confronted with Alpha's sexuality and her responsibility to inform Alpha of its consequences can lead to inner conflicts for her and shows the reader not just what the social norms of the society are but also how Brava reacts to them.

Maybe Brava pities Alpha because she'll be excluded from the greatest divine gift of having children. Maybe she herself is prejudiced against homosexuals despite the society on the whole having a tolerant attitude. Maybe she is friends with Alpha's parents and wonders how to tell them. Maybe Brava thinks that adopted children should be allowed to inherit - possibly because she is or knows someone who was adopted - and if she does, can she openly speak about this or would she be criticising her own church in a problematic way?

The point is that if the important character is Brava, you can characterise Brava through her reactions and opinions both to a minority character like Alpha and to the related social norms and her place in society. Brava's emotions and opinions - and obviously she'll experience Alpha's reactions and emotions and react to those as well - are all the drama this scene needs.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best