bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: "Stealing" jokes In one of my stories, I have a character who is a bit of a smart ass, always cracking jokes at the expense of others and sometimes even himself. I often get inspired by - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Being inspired is a thing; copying entire jokes or catch-phrases may be overdoing it, and rightly be called stealing.

I agree with @Chris Sunami that it would already seem that your on the safe side, legally, but morally you're in a bit of a grey area.

It's true that some jokes become commonplace after a while and that you can't possibly credit anonymous strangers over the internet. If you want your character to look like a smart ass, you can safely watch comedians shows for reference, but that should end there.

It's good to have a good understanding of comedy in general, but probably it would be even better knowing how make a good joke in the specific situation your character finds himself in. Your jokes will be better if they are highly specific to the current context - not a fat chance you'd find anything suitable around.

So, maybe it would be productive to look upon other similarly quick-tongued characters in the media (be it films, books or comics) and get an idea of how they do work, in order to remake that attitude in your own way?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best