bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I strike a balance between setting and plot? I'm not a fan of Tolkien's work, but it's relevant to my question, so take it as a reference point. I love linguistics, culture, and worldbuilding, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Just another quick point to add to the already excellent answers.

I've been known to develop really in-depth worlds as well, and it can be hard to step away and only use the parts you need for a particular plot/story. However. The thing that always helps me come to terms with it a bit more, and a way around having done all that research and planning without using it directly, is to go ahead and make multiple stories within the same world.

Think about it, if you've created the world already and there are huge cultures, towns, cities, languages and philosophies built up around it into a rich tapestry wouldn't it be fun to reveal it slowly from different angles in different places. Discovery is a huge part of fiction and enjoyment, share a bit of that excitement with your readers.

Without going overboard in any one story; I agree with the others, its better to delete, edit and chop 'extra' information.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best