bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How should I handle writing a story where different portions of the narrative are told from the point of view of several different narrators? My story is told from the perspective of different - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I can think at at least two great novels who do this in a different way:

1) La Horde du Contrevent, by A. Damasio. In this french fantasy, a team composed of 20 members marches over a windy realm. The story unfolds over a sequence of paragraphs. Each paragraph is the inner voice of a character. The reader knows who's speaking thanks to a tiny symbol appended to the paragraph, a nice device that could simply be replaced by the name of the character. The novel is wonderful.

2) Dracula. Dracula is written as a series of letters and diary entries by 4 main characters plus several other minor elements. The device is not 100% realistic, but it delivers.

In none of these examples the reader is confused on who's speaking and what is happening. The intention of the narrator is clear, the description of action is clear, and the different psychologies of the narrators are clear.

There is absolutely no rule that says that the narrator must be unique in the story. As long as the reader knows what's happening, whoever is the narrating voice doesn't matter.

What is more interesting is asking "why" to do such a technique. Is there a specific reason why the story is narrated through 10 point of views instead of, for example, a single omniscent external narrator? This question probably will help you to get a stronger valid reason to proceed the way you think.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best