bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Making the antagonist a good guy? I was recently re-reading Erin Hunter's Warriors and I noticed something new, knowing what I now know; The antagonist is introduced as a hero. For those unfamiliar - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

'The best anybody can be is good-ish'

Every character must have their own point of view, otherwise they are not a character, there are people who delight in doing nasty things to other beings, but besides them pretty much everybody is somebody's antagonist at some point. It doesn't make them different people.

We might define the goals of two people as exactly the same. "Win the game, be at the top of the leaderboards, defeat all opposition." We might say they use the same means and methodology.. but the readers sees the world through the narrative provided.

Litrpg trope? Protagonist wants to 'win the game' to pay for medical treatment for his poor dying mom and all the crippled children in the world. Every other player is then automatically a bad guy. Either because they're playing just for fun, or because they're also trying to win.

All you need to smash that trope into a wasteful jumble of words is a little sanity and some perspective, that is to say, to see the other guy's point of view.

Perspective:

'One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.'

Spiderman is a vigilante, Superman is a vigilante, Batman is a vigilante, Vigilantism is illegal basically everywhere. Idk so much about female 'role models' but pretty much every fictional hero and role model for males ever is a guy who ignores authority whenever he thinks it's wrong...And they're almost always proven right...because that's the story. What happens when they're wrong? Watchmen?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelton455

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best