bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Different methods of incorporating Korean into English text I have a Korean character in the novel I'm working on, and it is fairly important to the plot that she has some dialogue in Korean. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have a Korean character in the novel I'm working on, and it is fairly important to the plot that she has some dialogue in Korean.

Korean isn't a language where you can say what you see, if you understand what I mean. I'm undecided between a few approaches:

Completely leave out the Korean and just write her dialogue in English (although it might affect the scene slightly).

Her eyes seemed to carry the same playful light that had emblazoned her smile. "Do you really want this?" The woman asked in a light-hearted tone. It was a question the would possibly change the latter's life depending on his answer.

Write the dialogue in Hangul and then write it in English. e.g.:

Her eyes seemed to carry the same playful light that had emblazoned her smile. "너 정말 이걸 원해?" The woman asked in a light-hearted tone Do you really want this? It was a question the would possibly change the latter's life depending on his answer.

Write a Romanized version of the language. This could possibly come off as confusing or incorrect, or maybe offensive? e.g.:

Her eyes seemed to carry the same playful light that had emblazoned her smile "Neo Cheongmal igeol wonhae?" The woman asked in a light-hearted tone. It was a question the would possibly change the latter's life depending on his answer.

The character's dialogue contributes to the plot in a few scenes. What are the advantages of these different approaches?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Mendez196

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

From a reader's perspective: When I come across words I don't understand I scan ahead to the words I know. So I'd actually prefer the Korean stuff to be in a distinct alphabet. That would make it easier to skip ahead quickly to the English. Transliterating makes the Korean dialogue look like English words.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Personal preference, don't write the Hangul. Since I can't read the characters themselves, it takes me out of the story. I do like the inclusion of the Korean words in Anglicized lettering, but that's a stylistic point.

In either case, the real work is being done by the translation. If the character understands the words, then it's fine to just italicize, or even to simply skip the quotes.

Do you really want this? It's clearly translated. In general, fewer words is better. If you're writing a hundred-thousand word book, don't waste any of them.

Coy playfulness lit her eyes and emblazoned her smile. "Neo Cheongmal igeol wonhae?" The words lilted, light-hearted.

You really want this? His answer might change his life.

Load Full (0)