bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I'd like to frame-challenge this notion of a "purely erotic story." What is that? As with a romance, your work as a writer is to delay your characters' mutual bliss, and you're welcome - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'd like to frame-challenge this notion of a "purely erotic story." What is that? As with a romance, your work as a writer is to delay your characters' mutual bliss, and you're welcome to use any narrative tools available to do so.

It's quite possible for there to be satisfying narratives where the obstacles are entirely internal and/or psychological. But this doesn't making them somehow "more pure" than any other kind of narrative.

As far as what you're talking about, the closest I've seen to this kind of a book is André Aciman's Enigma Variations, about a man whose erotic fixation is always on his next lover, and never on the one with whom he is currently with. But again, the fact that his challenges to happiness are purely psychological doesn't make this different in any essential way from any other book.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best