bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: British / American language mishmash English is not my mother tongue. I am completely fluent in English though, and I write my fiction in English. Here's the problem: I live in neither the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I am an American, and I use American English. I have read British literature before, but the British books that I have read are all written before the 20th century; and I read them for English classes. From my perspective, British books are, for the most part, intelligible to me. I just read the book like an American novel.

Language and culture are intertwined. If you want to write completely in American English, then you may want to befriend an American. You can do so on an app called HelloTalk. This app allows you to make friends with people from all over the world. You share your language; your friend shares the language you are interested in. The more you know American culture, the less of an impact those British stuff will have on you. Then, someday in the future, you share your story with your American friend. Your friend will proofread for you. If something sounds funky or looks funky, then it probably is, and your American friend will raise an eyebrow. Let your American friend make some adjustments. Then, you look over the changes and create your final draft.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best