bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it ok to use "aluminium" in an otherwise American English text? I am not an American English native (I'm actually a German native speaker) but, when I write, I use the American style of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Since you have a real-world justification, why not use that same justification in your fictional setting?

If you want to make it a thing, have a character say "aluminum" and the other characters can eyeroll or correct as per their personalities.

You could also have your infodump characters be from an international organization, and thereby set the standard for communication.

You can also have the individual characters use the word they would be most comfortable with. I doubt readers would be confused any more than if you used "metre" or "colour". (I realize it is actually more than just a variant spelling, but there is little chance the meaning would be mistaken.)

My answer is the same for your narrator/narrative voice. Use what you feel is natural, or use the version that empathizes with the MC.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best