bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can my characters interact with my narrator? (and vice versa) I know that this idea is not totally 'revolutionary' as this type of narration has been used in Breakfast of champions, for example. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Multiple personality disorder

Maybe it's not a real condition, but in anything but the most serious work it may suit you well. And I am assuming this is not 100% serious if we are talking to the narrator.

So just have a background personality tell the story. It can only see from the protagonists eyes but tells the story indifferent to being the narrator and not having control. Tee protagonist can sometimes stop and maybe even in front of everyone argue with the voice in his head.
If you want this to be more "normal" maybe the story could instead be told by a ghost haunting the protagonist. The ghost can see more, and have a looser camera, but still the protagonist can hear it, and can argue with it.

If you want to see this done to an extreme see

VALIS by Philip K. Dick. Where the narrator sees the protagonist as a separate person while they are not.

I honestly can't remember if it's a spoiler. Either way knowing it does not change the book, but tags just in case.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best