bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is sentence in English with long subject bad? I heard from someone that in English, sentences with a long subject are considered confusing and hard to read. Is it true? An example for such - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Is It Bad?

This is a subjective question because there is no specific rule which will tell you if the sentence is bad. However, if you are wondering what makes a sentence more (or less) clear to a reader there may be some things that we can use as a guide.

Taking a look at your example sentence we find that there are two different messages communicated:

Therefore, the PhD courses about conducting research in mathematics I
took during my master studies are also relevant for research in
computer science.

PhD courses about conducting research are relevant for research in computer science.
You took one of these courses during your master studies

Since most readers find sentences that communicate one idea at a a time clearer and more simple to understand you may want to break that sentence into two.

Possibly Less Clear and More Misunderstanding

That also means that your example sentence may be less clear and may lead to misunderstanding and if the author is attempting to achieve clarity and understanding in the reader then this sentence is less good than breaking the sentence into two.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best