bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Ensuring that character dialogues sound like they are coming from different people I am wondering if I should make the female characters speak in a different way compared to male characters, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Know your characters, their personalities and backgrounds. Understand how each will respond to different situations and let things happen.

I have one rather bizarre character who is a country gal at heart, but more of a ninja than anything else. She tends to be blunt and outspoken, often making others wish they could acquaint her with diplomacy and finesse, but it suits her personality and she has never failed of an assignment.

I have a pleasant tempered hacker from Syria who is unstintingly loyal and determined to defend those he loves. He waxes poetic - tending to obfuscate when someone does not understand his initial explanation. Each attempt becomes more and more confusing to his listener. It is his way to make certain that they heed his first explanation.

These are traits I learned about my characters as I wrote them.

Read your dialogue aloud, see if there are shifts and differences in the voices. Removing all the dialogue tags, would you still know who said what?

Do you have a university educated character trying to sound like his less educated friend? If so, why? I have a friend I must simplify my language around if I want him to understand.

See the characters interact with each other and write what happens.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best