bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I portray body horror and still be sensitive to people with disabilities? Building on my answer in Proven psychological or scientific means of scaring people?, I'm working on a universal - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some works of horror use their monster to punish those who deserve punishing, in a Calvinist or Moralizing narrative. Think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The factory chews up the bad kids and leaves only the righteous. It's one thing to say that a magical factory or a werewolf will punish the bad people. It's entirely another to portray disability itself as a moral punishment for being a bad person. This instills the idea that disabled people are disabled because they in some way deserve it.

So you should make your body-horror be morally indiscriminate. Do not use body horror to dispense justice. You could do this by putting at least one character in each category:

A righteous and deserving character becomes disabled
Another righteous and deserving character gets away with no new injuries
An unsympathetic and undeserving character becomes disabled
Another unsympathetic and undeserving character gets away with no new
injuries

This will make it clear that although getting a disabling injury is bad, it doesn't only happen to bad people, and it doesn't make one a bad person.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best