bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can my story describe a world and a society without relying on individual characters? I'm working on a story which is focused on the conditions of its world and its society and I want - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It could be an ensemble bit like most TNG/Enterprise-Era Star Trek series. You have a core cast of characters, but which character is focused upon is going to be based on what the dilema of the day is. A Medical dilema would feature the doctor character... an investigation would feature the security officer/police officer. Leadership problems would feature the Captain or the XO, depending on the nature of the question. I highly recomend watching Deep Space 9, which is more of a small town political discussion, then a scifi element and explored established governments or fleshed out new ones (most of the roles were tied to Western Characters in a frontier settlement... the doctor even calls his practice Frontier Medicine in the first episode).

Another option is that you do a procedure with a focus on the courts over the enforcement of the law. This means that the drama of the stories is arguing about the ideals of the society, and one party represents one side and the other represents the opposing side. It could work out that your characters are civil attorneys rather than criminal as civil trials tend to allow a grey area to the opposing sides, rather than the black and white nature of criminal courts.

The more criminal side of the drama could explore the limits of the imposed rules in your world and what is and isn't allowed.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best