bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : So there are three things I take into consideration: Is the singer going to be a part of the story? If not than I try to look for songs that are 5-10 years older than the current - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

So there are three things I take into consideration: Is the singer going to be a part of the story? If not than I try to look for songs that are 5-10 years older than the current setting as they are still period specific but it's not too specific that it was clear you were writing in a specific year. If it's an period piece, make sure you get some of the most identifiable songs of the decade (no late 90s piece is complete without "All Star" by Smash Mouth, and you can tell it's the '40s cause Intro to "Swing Swing Swing" is playing loudly in the Club). Other options are songs and bands that have withstood the test of time, The Beatles, Rolling Stone, Ozzie Osborn, Michael Jackson, Elvis, Bon Jovie, Weird Al (don't laugh... the man's one of three artists to Have a Platinum Album in every Decade since the 80s... Michael Jackson and Madonna being the other two).

If the Band is going to appear at all in the story and interact with the character or be in the same room as her, than the band should be a fictional band but you can get some great commentary against similar genre artists. For example, the Mockumentary film "Spinal Tap" was making fun of 80s Rock Band excesses and several of the funnier moments were pretty much lifted from actual stories from real life bands... and others were just the over the top excesses of bands of the era. Popular targets are Female Pop acts (almost always solo, as Girl Bands never caught on like Boy Bands) and most started as a child actress who is now trying to break her more wholesome image (Usually by saying "She was working for the Mouse" as Disney Alumn actresses tend to go big in their music careers. Both Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus were known for being Disney Channel celebs before their major singing careers). Boy Bands and Solo Tween heart throbs are also easy targets as they tend to be very corporate and reviled by anyone who isn't a girl in a couple of steps in age from 12. There's also a formula of the vein of "The Shy One, the Cute One, The Hot One, The Bad Boy, and the Big Brother"). Oddly, Americans seem to be less impressed with the genre than the Brits. In the States, it comes and goes over time, while there hasn't not been a hot boyband in the UK since the 70s.

An in series band can be more flexible as it allows the group to interact with protagonists from time to time and make commentaries on various genres of music without actually having to deal with real world history.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best