bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it good formatting to bookend quotations with a comma when they occur in the middle of narration? Consider the sample sentence below from a novel. As he stared at it, Emma announced - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Consider the sample sentence below from a novel.

As he stared at it, Emma announced “Its blackberry cake! It’s the best cake you’ll ever taste. Honest!” And with that, she stuffed in another big mouthful as she giggled happily.

I am unsure if this formatting is proper, or if I should have commas before and after the quotation, and a lowercase or uppercase A in and.

The alternative would be like the following:

As he stared at it, Emma announced, “Its blackberry cake! It’s the best cake you’ll ever taste. Honest!”, and with that, she stuffed in another big mouthful as she giggled happily.

Which formatting is proper for a novel, with bookending quotations in commas or without, or am I totally off and some third option is correct?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ann1701686

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

When adding a quote in a sentence, a first comma is always added before the quote starts. For example,

She cried, "Don't leave."

Similarly, if the sentence is starting with the quote instead, the comma follows it. For example,

"Don't leave", she cried.

So, in short, if simple, non quoted words are present before or after the quote, they are always separated from the quote by commas.For example,

She cried, "Don't leave", sadness clearly visible in her eyes.

Now in your given example, it depends if the writer wanted to use these sentences as two separate ones (like he did) or as one combined sentence (like you made it to be). In his case, the sentence is correct too, as he wanted the "And with that, she stuffed in another big mouthful as she giggled happily." to be a separate sentence.
The exclamation mark in the quote before successfully ended that sentence.
Although your approach is far better, and it is not a good practice to start a sentence with conjunctions (like And), but it is not grammatically wrong either.

Load Full (0)