bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Writing based on the context or theme I'm totally new to this field as well as this site and going to learn on my own and need a direction for this specific area I want to learn. I want - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm totally new to this field as well as this site and going to learn on my own and need a direction for this specific area I want to learn.
I want to understand what I need to learn and which direction I need to go to acquire these specific skills and I can use an example of script (background voice) of this show called Dragon's Den.
What fascinated me is the creative use of words related to the idea/industry/field of the idea pitch presented, recycling it's meaning with a twist.
For example, in this show (15m), the pitch was for switching plans for energy companies. The creative words used within the context.

new laws protecting personal data could short-circuit their chances (3:11)
not joining their utility revolution (4:32), double meaning utility as to energy company as well as the idea website as a utility.
ready to supply his verdict on the proposition (5:35)
electrifies the den using his track record (7:10)
encouraging the entrepreneurs to switch to her deal (8:42)
is she about to turn up the heat in the dead (8:50)
two switched-on dragons (14:44)

The question is around how can I acquired the skills to recycle the use of words creatively, any books or trainings appreciated.
P.S. Is there a some specific terminology for such creative use of words in the creative writing industry?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelton455

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is wordplay.

Word play or wordplay1 (also: play-on-words) is a literary technique
and a form of wit in which words used become the main subject of the
work, primarily for the purpose of intended effect or amusement.

The Wiki Page this is lifted from gives some examples of plays and books you could read to help you in your quest.

There are also dozens of books on the subject, like Wisdom & Wordplay by Robert Eddison. But if you search on Amazon, you'll find a lot more.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)