bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: If in real life the antagonist is often oneself, shouldn't it work in a full length novel? I'm fleshing out a novel which seems to have enough going on without adding an antagonist. In reality, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

She is warring with herself, battling feelings of guilt after the death of her grandfather and must work through this in order to move on.

Fear, doubt, anger, blinding passion and just about any other emotion, especially if it is overpowering, can forge the foundation of an antagonistic force. I find I enjoy the sinister nature of this type of antagonist. Emotions are often the ultimate blind spot for an individual.

I find myself identifying with these characters. Who can't identify with internal conflict denying opportunities in life? I find it frustrating as a reader when the story is too internal and I get bored. If a character can push through her emotions to move forward and find resolution without boring me then I can enjoy this type of story.

This is not an uncommon theme in manga/anime. In those settings it is the relationships between the characters that provides the external perspective on the emotional state of the main character. You are often left completely without knowledge until the end of what the real internal conflict is, but you spend the entire series trying to figure it out. That makes it very engaging.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best