bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does a technical writer need a technical background? Does a technical writer need a technical background? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have done quite a bit of technical writing for healthcare information systems. There are two major categories that I can identify and each has different requirements. There are plenty of projects between these two categories with different requirements.

General End User Docs:

Documents that non-technical people must use to understand a minimally complex technical system. An example of this might be the user manual for a medical billing system. When writing this type of material, very little technical knowledge is needed.

API Docs

Documents that programmers use to understand a programming interface for a piece of software. Poorly written API docs can be fatal to integration efforts. This does require some technical knowledge, especially an understanding of programming. You don't need to be a full time programmer, but you should at least understand the basics of programming and anything specifically important to the API you are documenting. You should be provided a programmer, or someone who understands the API very well, as a resource on this type of project.

My company provides a human technical resource when we hire a writer without a technical background in the required area. If you can work well with a human technical resource, or even a non-human technical resource, it can drastically reduce your need for a technical background.

So in summary, it depends on how technical what you are writing is and the resources provided by the hiring entity.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Eichhorn147

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best