bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: My story is written in English, but is set in my home country. What language should I use for the dialogue? I'm an amateur writer from the Philippines. I am writing a novelette for an - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I will add an example of literature being translated to English, on the grounds that due to language differences translation can be equivalent to writing a different story.

In translated Japanese light novels, words and phrases that don't have an exact translation, but are generally assumed to be understood by the audience, tend to be left in the story and italicized to emphasize their being in a different language. For Japanese, that means that honorifics are either left in or translated, mainstream slang such as hikkikomori (shut-in) will either be left in italics or translated, and if there is a discussion that specifically involves the Japanese writing system then the original symbols are included as reference (such as "snail" being derivative of "cow" in Bakemonogatari). Cultural reference are also maintained.

The bulk of the translated text remains in English, as that is the intended audience of the translation, with words that don't make sense in English being left in Japanese.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Merenda569

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best