bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How should 'a posteriori' and 'a priori' be used? I'm currently writing a scientific report, and have noted that a future investigator could use certain tactics to make their life easier. However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm currently writing a scientific report, and have noted that a future investigator could use certain tactics to make their life easier. However, I only discovered this after having gone through the experiment. I've tried writing this result like as:

This knowledge is a posteriori, however, and other arrangements could have their...

Is this the correct way to use the phrase? Reading examples online doesn't seem to use it like this, though it seems sound to me.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Even in academic writing, it's a good idea to be as clear as possible, although many academic writers seem to forget that fact. If you're using a phrase that you're not completely sure you're using correctly, or that you think might be easily misinterpreted, I would advise you to simply replace it.

In this particular case, while the phrase a priori is relatively common and widely understood, its linked opposite, a posteriori is much less so.

Note: If your question is solely whether or not your usage is technically correct in this case, it would be better asked on english.stackexchange.com instead.

Load Full (0)