bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Comics marketing: focus on issues or collections? Situation: 5 year comic book series (by my spouse; I do marketing, website, etc) 4 issues a year (in theory...it's been slower) Issues are available - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Situation:

5 year comic book series (by my spouse; I do marketing, website, etc)
4 issues a year (in theory...it's been slower)
Issues are available as e-comic only
Every 4 issues is collected into a book
Books are available as e-books and as trade paperbacks
Traditional (small) publisher (in UK, we are in US) but one who does no marketing

The 3rd issue is coming out in a couple weeks. The 4th issue and first book will be out this summer.

The goal is to make money. Yeah yeah, it's to get this lovely work out to the public, etc, etc...but the reality is it's going to take a lot just to break even. We pay nothing for publication of course but we paid the artists, and that's a lot. If we can break even, my spouse can continue writing without killing our family budget.

Where do we put our marketing emphasis?

Both the e-comic issues and the books will be listed on the website, on social media, and mentioned on promotional bookmarks and other materials. But what is the best focus for selling more and encouraging new readers?

We don't have any numbers yet for the e-comic and the first book isn't out yet. We make more royalties from book sales, but the exact amounts are unknown. About -10 per paper book we sell direct to consumer (like at conventions, book signings), probably for books sold in stores. A couple dollars for e-books.
E-comics we get [CO].50/issue.

How do we best focus our marketing efforts?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

individual issues 50¢
eBook ~
printed book in stores ~
direct sale ~ +

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but starting with observations.

Your marketing should focus on the one type of sale you can control: direct to buyer. This is your "luxury" or "gift" market. Try to think of ways to get people to buy a copy for their friend. Perks can include a few other things like the bookmarks (mentioned in another question) and autographed copies. Maybe you can get the artist to sign a few to keep on hand too.

You might even consider a higher tier of related merchandise. T-shirts and mugs are corny but maybe a printed card or framed print could serve as an even higher-end gift item, that makes the print book seem more practical and affordable by comparison.

Treat the copies in stores as something that promotes you, and legitimizes the product. You won't get steady updates or quick income this route, but you should feature it in your promotional materials, website, etc, as a status, similar to reviews and pull quotes. You are not really directing people to go buy it in the store, so much as you are saying "these fine retailers loved it too" – not that heavy-handed of course, but leverage the brick-and-mortor stores as a feather in the cap.

I'm not sure how much you "own" the digital copies and can manipulate their sale price or other promotions (besides just a link on your website), or whether they will cannibalize your print sales. I guess the strategy here is the single issues are the lowest commitment for the reader, and the cheapest way to "try" the product. There is another angle that single issues are the most immediate way to get new issues, but that is honestly compromised by only 4 per year. You can't really emphasize that it's "faster" when it's seasonal (it is technically faster, but it's not really like you can sell 1 and then another and another. The "glow" will wear off before 3 months). Another problem is the potential that someone buys 2 single issues and skip the full book, because the money is going twice to the same product. It's a low dollar amount, so it's probably psychological, but it might compromise sales by breaking up your market.

Maybe there is a way to encourage a subscription to the digital copies? Either the full book once each year, or the quarterly issues. If they can somehow be pre-sold, or pre-committed to buy each issue as they are released? No idea how that might work, but it might be as simple as an email list and notification. A quarterly reminder by email might drive customers back to the print version – again, to buy those gifts for their friends.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I'd stop trying to market it yourself. I'd publish it on a site like Webtoons or MangaFox and let them market it for you. Webtoons, in particular, pay writers of popular comics. Have a look at how many people register and follow comics on Webtoons?

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You are over thinking it. Do not optimize based on assumptions. Optimize based on data. The marketing focus should be based on the sales you get in response to marketing. Try lots of things. Keep track of how much resources they took. Keep track of how much sales (or some reasonable proxy) they produced. Stop doing or modify things with low return. Focus on things with high return.

These are general basics of marketing. What you are marketing and how does not really change anything.

If you can not optimize based on results or actual data, the next best thing is to optimize based on efficiency at your end. Do the types of marketing that are most convenient or effective for you to do. Basically this means minimizing the opportunity cost.

Load Full (0)