bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How can I generate paperback book from iBooks Author? I'm starting to write a book and I am considering to use the iBooks Author app since I tend to like Apple products. Through my research, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm starting to write a book and I am considering to use the iBooks Author app since I tend to like Apple products. Through my research, I learned I can publish it into iBooks, export it for iBooks or in another format, which all seem valid options as, for example, I could also publish it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

But I also want to have the option to generate a formatted (or pre-formatted) version to send to a publisher to print, to possibly avoid the costs of formatting. Is this possible through iBooks?

Some contextual information:

Please notice that I'm a beginner in this area, so any advice is appreciated. I'm open to using different software too, if it meets the requirements. My current goal is to start simple, maybe with e-book and paperback versions.

I'm very skilled with learning to use software in general and somewhat creative with artwork, although I don't have plenty of time available to spend on over detailed formatting rules. Software that can help me with that is valid, even if it has a reasonable cost.

The book's humble goal is to raise hope and clarity about life for interested readers through inner reflections and the profits are to support a non-profit organization with the same goals.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

iBooks Author creates e-books in EPUB for the Apple Store. But AFAIK (I haven't used it) you can export your iBooks Author e-book as a PDF.

POD (Print On Demand) companies like IngramSpark will take a PDF and convert it to print for you.

However, most authors will use apps like Vellum, InDesign or PressBooks to create their e-book and then upload the finished file in each applicable format for each store. Or they will upload the PDF (or Word file) to an aggregator like Draft2Digital and get them take the strain of each format for each store.

If you're publishing a book, you don't want to limit yourself to the Apple store. You want to be selling everywhere. How well iBooks Author converts to PDF and then onto every store format, I don't know. I wouldn't do it this way. But, you could do a small test file and try uploading the PDF to IngramSpark (or another POD company) and the Amazon store to see how well it converts to these formats.

But, as I say, I don't know any authors who do it that way around.

I wouldn't recommend sending files to a publisher to print. Why would you when POD is so readily available these days? To make non-POD viable, you'd need to print a good sized run and you could end up with a garage full of unsold books.

It also means that you can't change any of those books. You have to do future editions and reprint. With POD you can make changes to a print book on the fly.

HTH

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

This discussion may convey that it's not possible through Apple.

Then this article written in April 2018, by Rohi Shetty provides some insights:

Read This Before Publishing Your First E-Book! :

You can use KDP Print (Beta) or Createspace for creating and
distributing print books. Publishing a paperback can help you reach
new readers. KDP prints your book on demand and subtracts your
printing costs from your royalties. That means you don’t have to pay
any costs upfront or carry any inventory. You can also order proofs
and author (wholesale) copies of your paperbacks on KDP.

Load Full (0)