bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there a "writer's room" for poetry? Is poetry always a solo endeavor? TV scriptwriting is classically done in a Writer's Room, where the show-runner outlines the main plot/character beats for - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It's rare for multiple writers to be credited for a single poem, perhaps because poems are usually brief, and as close to pure self-expression as one gets in the world of writing. However this doesn't mean that collaboration is not taking place in alternate forms:

A community of poets - This is perhaps the most important and central exception. Many great poets have been birthed out of a community of poets who may not directly collaborate, but whose work informs each other in significant ways. Nearly all communities have groups of poets who congregate around public readings of one type or another. Do some research, and find your local poets and join them. Poetry slams are one notable form of this, but most larger communities have poets' open mics in a variety of different styles. Those are probably the closest thing to the "writers' room" of your headline.
Editors - There are poets we know mainly or exclusively through the actions of an editor or conservator. Emily Dickinson is a key example, her work was largely published posthumously, and might not have achieved its initial popularity without the edits that made it less idiosyncratic.
Translation - Translating a poem is really a collaboration --the creation of a new poem from the old one.

There's also a form of collaboration when one person is a poet and the other person is not. In my work teaching, I've frequently transformed the raw words and emotions students bring me into poetry --which then is probably best said to have two authors. This is similar to your idea of using a Facebook rant as raw material for a poem. I think this is probably not uncommon, although I'm guessing that the original source usually goes uncredited (or conversely, when a student works with a teacher, the teacher typically foregoes credit).

It's also not unheard of for two poets to publish together.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best