bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I would say 3 but do the guide for pronunciation in a way that works in the story. For example, in Harry Potter, Rowling became aware that fans were having a difficult time pronouncing - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would say 3 but do the guide for pronunciation in a way that works in the story. For example, in Harry Potter, Rowling became aware that fans were having a difficult time pronouncing Hermione's name, so she had a scene in the fourth book where Hermione is on a date with a foreigner who doesn't speak English as a first language and was unable to correctly pronounce her name. This can be achieved in other settings. As an American with an unusual Irish given name (which is a corruption of a fairly common one at that) I can tell you such people are cursed by their parents to correct the pronunciation of their names many times over the course of their life. The Irish were also victims of getting their names recorded as something different when coming to the U.S. states so their are probably variants of the name with different spellins, one close to the correct pronunciation. As another answer listed Sean, Shawn, and Shane good example of this. Sean is the correct spelling, Shawn is the correct pronunciation, and Shane is the correct pronunciation in a different Irish accent (the Ulster region accent to be specific). Sean itself is a corruption of the English name John which is corruption of the Hebrew name Yohanan. Most European and Arabic names are actually corruptions of names given to biblical characters so there's a variety of ways to spell and pronounce these names.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best