bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to positively portray high and mighty characters? What I mean by "high and mighty" (though I realise this term does not exactly paint anyone in a nice light) are characters who know their - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

What I am getting from your question is that you are looking for the right vocabulary for dealing with people with a degree of personal charisma and a natural sense of their place (at the top) in the world. Chances are, these are people with some degree of privilege.

Someone with that sort of personal gravity is most likely going to be a strong leader. You could start by looking for articles on leadership and biographies of powerful leaders. Google has you covered, here. In a general search, you may have to wade through a fair amount of junk to find some gems as this is a topic area that gets a lot of hot air.

Forbes' annual ranking of the world's most powerful people may give you some good (and some bad) real-life case studies to work from.

You are probably looking for characteristics such as:

Good communication
Maturity (at least in positive cases)
Compassion (again, only in positive cases)
Confidence
Listening skills

The most effective and charismatic (and often initially overwhelmingly charming) business leaders seem to ooze both humility, acceptance, and quiet confidence. they make wielding power look easy. that is not a skill you can learn overnight. It takes time, experience, and either a lot of coaching or a privileged background.

In addition, you may be looking for terms such as authoritative, influential, majestic, masterful, puissant, strong, capable, multitalented, magisterial - to name but a few.

People like that tend to be strong mind self-starters. They know what they want and what they feel is right and they can be unrelenting in pursuing their goals. JonStonecash's answer deals with that aspect very well.

I've been as broad as I can in my answer in order to match your question. Hopefully, I have covered some areas that will help you perhaps put together a stronger vocabulary to describe what you are working towards.

I have mentioned privilege a few times because it is a theme that comes up when discussing this level of influence. Having at least a broad understanding of privilege (white, rich, male, etc.) will help you unlock more complex themes in your work - especially in the areas I think you might be shooting for.

Edit: It occurs to me that once you have at least some vocabulary with which to better express your thoughts, English Language and Usage might be a good place to ask about words to express a specific meaning.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best