bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Would publishing my story like a TV series be successful? I'm considering writing my latest story in the style of a TV series. The plan is to write 13 episodes of 10-12,000 each. Episodes - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The publishing model you're suggesting isn't actually all that new.

Serialised novels - novels published in newspapers or magazines, one chapter at a time - were very common back in the 19th century, starting with Charles Dickens' publication of The Pickwick Papers in 19 monthly instalments between 1836-37. Novels published this way include Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Anna Karenina.

With the rise of TV and radio, print media largely moved away from serialising novels, but it still happens occasionally; Rolling Stone magazine serialised a draft version of The Bonfire of the Vanities between 1984-85, and Stephen King experimented with publishing his unfinished novel The Plant as a serialised e-book all the way back in 2000. Now, in 2019, there's an iOS/Android app called Serialbox that works exactly as you describe: stories are divided into "episodes" like a TV show would be, with new episodes released weekly.

Serialbox seems to mostly cater for sci-fi and fantasy, and I don't know whether you'd be able to publish your specific story through them. But their very existence tells me that the answer is: yes, there is still a market for serialised literature. Whether these serialised works are "successful", and whether anyone would be interested in your specific work, is probably a matter of opinion.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best