bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Non-sense question about plot structures Suppose then you have an story in your mind. Then, to write down this finite series of events, you have to translate your imagination into the paper. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would say Plot Structures are narrative models. They can be used in writing, editing, and critiquing plots. I see no reason for them to be mutually exclusive from each other if the goal is providing a way to think about sequences of events. That means that many plot structures could easily apply to your story.

For example, I may realize that I've built up a mystery subplot, but the reveal isn't very satisfying. So I would look for structures/models for mystery plots and use them to diagnose why my story is misfiring (am I missing a step? Or did I give too much information?)

Personally, I gave up on using plot structures to draft stories; the addditional process makes the events feel too predictable and it kills my creativity. I do use them in editing though. Once everything is on the page, I find it makes more sense for me to refer back to the models as a goal so I can add more emphasis to one thing, repurpose another scene, etc.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best