bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can one "treat writing as a job" even though it doesn't pay? I hear this advice a lot: "Treat your writing as a job." But it seems to me that this is easier said/done when it is actually - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As a publisher, I can tell you a short story.

One day I was contacted by someone who already published different books and was interviewed multiple times, as we can see in his personal writer website. All of this seemed definitively interesting to me. I digged deeper to have an idea of his style and so on.
What I found is that in interviews he is constantly saying that he is lazy and has difficulties to write regularly.

In addition, in one of his stories, he make something especially dirty and ugly happenning, that is not fitting at all in my audience.

If he was constantly writing and behaving like a professional when he has to show off as a writer, I would have probably offered a contract to him. But since I saw all of that... I dropped.

I would also add that if you aren't profesionnal from the start, if you are a success one day, you might regret what you did or say earlier. Better to think your career long-term.

So now you saw from the point of view of the writers and from a publishing house. I hope that will help !

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best