logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How can I get 2 characters to bond while standing alternate watches? Setting is standard space opera. I am writing a story in which 2 characters are crewing a spaceship. The characters are:

Megan928 @Megan928

Comm systems. If they've got any human traits (assuming they're of the human race), the need for company would probably be one of them. At least occasionally.

You've got two people on "a deserted island". They need to communicate to stay alive, so to speak. Who's fishing today? Who's watching the fire? "Did you hear the ruffling in the bushes last night? We should check it out."

They have to eat and rest. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

They're lucky to have technology and not just a bonfire on a beach. Surely a comm system would be installed? So the Captain gives him orders. Maybe they think out loud or hit their head, accidentally initiating a short conversation.

Instead of the snapping of a twig on the Lone Island, there's a creaking sound in the hull. Or a repair is needed. It takes two to deal with it. The possibilities for interacting on a ship that size is almost limitless.

And if I were the Captain, I'd want to know when/if my crewman had fixed a broken pipe or left some of the work to me. Expecially since this ship is supposed to have a larger crew. Some overlapping work between us would be expected.

Like it or not, they'll get used to the voice in their ear and slowly build a rapport. At least this is how I would go about it.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme