logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How can I get 2 characters to bond while standing alternate watches? Setting is standard space opera. I am writing a story in which 2 characters are crewing a spaceship. The characters are:

Hamm6328258 @Hamm6328258

After reading the other answers so far, I wanted to add something.

Some of the answers mention 'sharing something' as a great bond-creator. I agree, and this could be bundled up with a sort of intrigue and curiosity.

Idea; One of the two is writing something - something non-work related - and forgets it (or part of it) at the post/station, where the other finds it. I imagine some fictional story/stories written in hand - perhaps based on the ship, the crew and potential outcomes of the future/past. It can be anything, though.

Upon first finding it, the other respects the privacy of their fellow crew members, but after hours of 'low priority work' and a lack of action, curiosity gets the best of him/her.

What they then find reveals something about the other person that changes their image immediately - I imagine that the captain might appreciate the crewman's professionalism (or the other way around) but still walks around with a wish that it'd be different, so life on the ship wasn't as lonely.
- Maybe they've both been "too professional" about their work together.

When finding the "book" (or just a part of it) it creates choice.
Should they confront the other person about their work? How? When?
How much should they read? Is any amount too much?

I then imagine, that, even though at first the writer might feel "ashamed" (using the crew as characters for instance), they would bond over these stories, building on them together and finding new meaning in their life on the ship.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme