bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Usage of archaic words I am a non-native speaker trying to write in English. Due to my reading of chiefly dated English literature, my vocabulary consists of many terms that are regarded as - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You use any word where it is appropriate. There is a place for a colloquialism just like there is a place for an archaic word. It has to match the voice of a character or narrator.

If you are writing about metro geeks, it would not be appropriate if they spoke like medieval peasants.

I worked with an editor who provided very harsh critique to my own writing along the same lines as what you are now concerned about. She was concerned that I was using too many colloquialisms. But my characters were very ordinary people who should be expected to speak in such voice! She had an issue with my use of obsolete words. But my characters were ancient beings who spent eternity in hibernation!

Take a step back and a second look at your work. Are the characters using appropriate language? Yes/No. And if your command of English does not allow for making that determination by yourself then seek a competent editor.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best