logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Will I use "the" in that instance or leave it with no article? If I'm given a choice, to put "the" or leave the word with no article, what's the better answer? The world helps in boosting

Ann1701686 @Ann1701686

Posted in: #AcademicWriting #TechnicalWriting #WordChoice #WritersBlock

If I'm given a choice, to put "the" or leave the word with no article, what's the better answer?

The world helps in boosting young confidence.
The world helps in boosting the young confidence.

Thank you.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Si5022468

Si5022468 @Si5022468

Here goes.

It depends on your distinction and calculation of how many “young confidence” there is.

Check this out:

The opposite of the definite article is the indefinite article, either “a” or “an” depending on whether the word which follows begins with either a consonant or vowel, respectively. The simple difference between a definite article and indefinite articles is a matter of how many things you are referring to:

For example, the difference between “a dog” and “the dog”; in the use of “the dog” I know which dog I am referring to since there is a definite number of dog; in the use of “a dog” I do not know which dog I am referring to, for there is an indefinite number of dog.

With this in mind, “the young confidence” means that there is an absolute confidence, a definite confidence, and there is only the young confidence and therefore no other.

However, if we use “a young confidence”, we mean that there are variations of young confidence, that there may even be “young confidence” which is unidentified.

You as the Writer must have in mind whether there are variations of young confidence or whether there is only one absolute young confidence.

I hope this helps.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kristi637

Kristi637 @Kristi637

I cannot explain the reason. But, intuitively, the second choice, ie 'The world helps in boosting the young confidence.'

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme