bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Co-author Trouble So, I was writing a book with my best friend, and half way through - at 70,000 words - she decides she doesn't want to write the book anymore; but I still can. And we - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Any time you get into any business relationship, especially with a friend or relative, get everything in writing up front. And the more important the friendship is to you, the more important it is to hash out the details ahead of time. It isn't a lack of trust --it is a way to avoid hurtful misunderstandings.

With that said, I am not a lawyer, nor have I been in this situation, but if it were me, I would give her the co-writing credit and up to 50% of the royalties without feeling ill-used. 35k words is a not-insignificant contribution to a book, especially since 70k is a viable length for a novel by itself. Furthermore, no collaboration is ever actually 50/50, so an even split is always a convenient fiction to avoid hard feelings. Who is to say her contributions weren't decisive? Denying her a cowriter credit after that big of a contribution seems petty and unfair.

In exchange, I would want, in writing, all rights to the characters, setting and any sequels, as well as the unilateral right to make decisions (publisher, selling rights, etc.) for this book. That seems fair, since she has abandoned the project, and you haven't, and it should adequately compensate you for the extra work you will be putting in alone.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best