bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I begin writing a short story? I like to read short stories, novels, documentaries etc. I used to write a diary as well. I am interested in beginning to write a short story or some - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Try to describe less, and imply more. For example, Anton Chekhov once advised his brother thusly:

"In descriptions of Nature one must seize on small details, grouping them so that when the reader closes his eyes he gets a picture. For instance, you'll have a moonlit night if you write that on the mill dam a piece of glass from a broken bottle glittered like a bright little star, and that the black shadow of a dog or a wolf rolled past like a ball"

Start by describing the scene as you currently do - however that might be. Then, add extra detail and descriptions: Instead of just saying "the house was old and decrepit", start to describe the mildewed windows, the overgrown garden, the peeling paint and the pockmarked stone that can be glimpsed through the many grasping tendrils of climbing ivy.

Then, start deleting stuff. Keep copies (you may need to put some lines back in later!) but work out which pieces can be removed without destroying the overall "shape" of the scene. The aim is a framework, with key points carefully highlighted, such that the reader's imagination fills out the gaps — leaving them with the illusion that you provided far more description than you actually did.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best