bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: how do I tell my main character’s backstory throughout the book? I'm loosely working on a trilogy. Book One and Two are supposed to contain the main character’s backstory, divided by two - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Get us interested in the characters first.

Your first chapter either needs to be a 'prologue' of sorts - either starting before Character A goes missing, or outlining how Character B and Character C meet up with Character A again, so that we feel their engagement in the reunion. We don't need to care about Character A or the reunion ourselves at this point. We just need to care that Characters B & C care.

To take a couple of examples: Chapter 1 of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" does not begin with Harry waking up in the cupboard under the stairs, about to "reunite" with his wizarding heritage. Chapter 1 of "The Lord of the Rings" does not start with Frodo marching resolutely off towards Rivendell. Chapter 1 of "Murder on the Orient Express" does not start with a dead body.

So, give us a "hook", build up the characters - either all three directly, or Character A through anecdotes and musings given by Characters B & C as they approach the reunion - and rouse our curiosity to continue.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best