bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the literary form or style of a story with no heroes? I have a piece of non-fiction to write that I'll be doing by telling a story. It's somewhere between a news report, op-ed, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have a piece of non-fiction to write that I'll be doing by telling a story. It's somewhere between a news report, op-ed, and historical lesson, but told as a short story.

In this story there are no good guys, nobody who fell from grace, and nobody to save the day. It's just a bunch of bad guys doing a bunch of bad guy stuff. The story also spans several years including today, so there isn't a protagonist or central character to see through the eyes of.

I'm having trouble finding is what genre or style this would be classified if it were being told as a fictitious story. It isn't a dilemma, maybe it's a tragedy, but is there some classification that better fits what I've described?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gonzalez219

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is slice of life, a storytelling technique that depicts a period of time without a conventional narrative or plotline, and potentially without an identifiable protagonist. It's relatively uncommon in fiction, but relatively common in documentaries, although those are often really a series of little mini-stories, each with their own protagonist.
At the cinema, Robert Altman and Richard Linklater are two directors often associated with slice-of-life style fiction movies.
You might call your work "slice-of-life, crime-documentary storytelling."

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I believe the term you're looking for may be 'Creative Non-Fiction'.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Is it similar to "And then there are none"?

And Then There Are None is classified under:

Mystery
Crime
Psychological thriller
Horror

I think your book might fit under one of these (except mystery).

Load Full (0)